Town Clerk


How Can I Obtain A Copy Of A Land Record?

You may obtain a copy of a Land Record at the Town Clerk's Office for $1.00 per page or by logging into RecordHub from your home for a fee.


How Can I Signup For Land Record Recordings Notifications?

Following this link will detail the steps to take to signup for notification of changes to your Land Records.


What Times Are Land Records Accepted For Recording?

Land Record Recordings are accepted until:
Monday - Wednesday: 4:00 PM
Thursday: 5:30 PM
Friday: 11:30 AM

What Are The Recording Fees?


The fees for recording a document are $60.00 for the first page, and $5.00 for each additional page. For deeds with conveyance, the fee of $2.00 is added to the total charge. 

For a Mortgage Electronic Registration Systems Incorporated document the fees are as follows: 
Grantor/Grantee: $159.00 for the first page and $5.00 for each subsequent page. 
Grantor/Grantee Release/Assignment: $159.00 for the document regardless of page count. 


How Do I Obtain A Copy Of A Birth, Marriage Or Death Certificate?


You may obtain a copy of a birth, marriage or death certificate at the Town Clerk's Office. You must present your valid government issued photo ID (i.e. Driver's License or Passport) along with a completed application.

Certificate payment is accepted by cash or check payable to the Town of Bethel. The fee is $20.00 per certificate. Credit Cards are not accepted. 


These certificates may also be requested by mail. Please download, print and fill out:  




Please make sure to mail the completed request with the following requirements: Check or money order made payable to the Town of Bethel. Include a photocopy of your valid government ID (i.e. Driver's License or Passport). 

Mail application and a self-addressed stamped envelope to: 

Town Clerk/Town of Bethel
1 School Street
Bethel, CT. 06801


How Do I Get Married In The Town of Bethel? 


Who is Eligible to Marry - Connecticut General Statutes § 46b-21 through & sect; 46b-30

What is Needed to Apply for a Marriage License - Connecticut General Statutes & sect; 46b-24

Who is Eligible to Perform Marriages in Connecticut - Connecticut General Statutes & sect; 46b-22





Marriage licenses are issued by appointment only.

  • The online marriage license must be completed prior to making your appointment. Both parties must appear together in person to take an oath and complete the license before issuance. 
  • You must have a date selected.
  • You must have the officiant arranged, bring with your their contact information to include Name, Address, and Phone Number. The Town Clerk does not perform marriage ceremonies. 
  • You must bring with you a valid, government ID(i.e. Driver's License or Passport). 
  • $50.00 for the license and $20.00 prepayment for your certified certificate for a total of $70.00 cash or check. Credit Cards are not accepted. 
  • The marriage license is only valid for a period of 65 days from the date of issuance. If the license is not used within this time frame, you must begin the process over and reapply. You can only apply in the town where the marriage is taking place. 


How Can I Obtain A Transfer Station Permit? 


The Town Clerk issues the annual Transfer Station Permits and they are available by mail or in person. There is no fee for the permit, there are fees imposed at the Transfer Station, please see information sheet here. LINK FOR TRANSFER STATION INFORMATION

Please complete the application via this LINK,the permit will be mailed to you. There is a limit of 2 permits per household. For two vehicles the application must be completed for each individually. 


How Do I Obtain a Metro-North Annual Parking Permit? 


The Town Clerk issues the annual Metro-North parking lot permits. The lot is located at 13 Durant Avenue.

There is parking available by permit or daily via the kiosk located to the left of the station. The fee for parking daily is $.25 per hour between the hours of 5:00 AM - 8:00 PM weekends and holidays are free. The fee for the annual permit is $250.00, for every month after January the fee is pro-rated by $21.00 per month. 

Overnight parking is allowable, many commuters use the Park Smarter App. Should you use the Park Smarter App, the zone for the Metro-North Parking Lot is "MS01". Click here to download the Park Smarter App


The perimeter of the lot is for daily parking by spot number, the interior parking spaces are for annual permit holders. There is no longer a waiting list and the lot is open to all regardless of residency.  The lot is well lit and surveillance cameras are operational. 

For issues with the kiosk or general questions please call 203-794-8506. Please note: Daily Fare is not responsible for the parking or any operations other than their business. Please contact us with any concerns. 





How Am I Able To Vote Absentee? 


Absentee Voting Information 

Connecticut law allows you to receive an absentee ballot if, in your judgment, an absence from your town on Election Day prevents you from appearing at your polling place, or you are preventing from appearing at your assigned polling place on Election Day because of sickness or physical disability (not necessarily your sickness or disability), active service in the Military, religious tenets forbid secular activity on the day of the election, duties as an election official at a polling place other than your own during all of the hours of voting. See the updated information to the Absentee Ballot law via this LINK

Absentee Ballots become available 30 days prior to an Election; three weeks prior to a Primary, and only in office (cannot be mailed) following the Town Meeting for a Referendum. 

To have the Absentee Ballot mailed to you, visit the online application portal which is delivered to the Town Clerk electronically, or download the form below and return it to the Town Clerk's office. You may mail it, drop it in the ballot box, or walk it in. This only applies to Elections and Primaries; Referenda is in person only. 




How Do I Obtain A Hunting And/Or Fishing License?


You may obtain a State of Connecticut Hunting or Fishing License through CT.GOV/DEEP

Hunting and fishing guides are also available here: Fishing or Hunting.

2023 Hunting & Trapping Guide: CT.GOV Edition


How Can I Contact My State Representatives/Senators?




How Do I Obtain A Dog License? 


Pursuant to Connecticut General Statutes 22-338, all dogs over the age of six months must be vaccinated for rabies and licensed during the month of June. The licensing fee is $8.00 for spayed/neutered dogs and $19.00 for male/female (unaltered) dogs. 

If you are licensing for the first time, it will be necessary for you to provide a valid rabies certificate and proof of your dog being spayed or neutered from your veterinarian. An invoice is not sufficient, it must be a vaccination certificate. 

If this is a renewal, you will need to provide an updated rabies certificate if the date on your renewal is noted as expired according to our records. 

Annual licenses must be obtained during the period of June 1st through June 30th. Beginning July 1st, a $1 per month late fee per dog will be charged for each month you fail to license your dog. If you are renewing by mail, please use the included addressed envelope provided with your reminder, a check payable to Bethel Town Clerk and a self addressed stamped envelope to: 


Town Clerk/Town of Bethel
1 School Street
Bethel, CT. 06801
There is also a bright yellow drop box located at the entrance of the Municipal Center for your convenience.

How Do I Obtain a Trade Name Certificate?


Information regarding the opening of a Trade Name and the form is located here:  



How Do I Terminate a Trade Name Certificate? 


In order to terminate a Trade Name Certificate, you will need to appear in person to sign and date your original certificate after providing a valid government ID(i.e. Driver's License or Passport). Or provide a written letter requesting your Trade Name Certificate be terminated. The letter must be notarized and mailed to: 

Town Clerk/Town of Bethel
1 School Street
Bethel, CT. 06801


Can I Have Something Notarized In The Town Clerk's Office? 


The staff in the Town Clerk's office are Notary Publics, however there are certain documents we CANNOT notarize such as WILLS, LIVING WILLS, POWER OF ATTORNEYS, LAND RECORDS WITHIN THE TOWN OF BETHEL, AND ANY ESTATE DOCUMENTS.

We also limit the number of documents that will be notarized to two (2).

The fee is $5.00 cash or check for each time the notary signs. 


For the documents listed above that we are not able to do; we recommend you to call your bank or the following Notary Publics: 



(203) 730-1399



(203) 240-5420



(845) 797-1212


(203) 308-9171


50 Juniper Road

Bethel, CT 06801

(203) 826-5840


736 Redding Road

Redding, CT 06896

(203) 252-4671



(203) 794-6530

She will come to you


How Can I Become a Notary Public? 


Notary Publics are appointed by the Secretary of the State. You may apply to become a Notary Public through their website located here.



Once you are issued your certificate it will have to be registered with the Town Clerk in the town in which you reside. The fee to register the certificate is $20.00 cash or check. Credit Cards are not accepted


Town Clerk Forms and Links


Metro-North Parking Permit Application (Link and PDF)

Transfer Station Application (Link)

Absentee Ballot (PDF and Link)

Birth Certificate Request (PDF)

Marriage Certificate Request(PDF)

Death Certificate Request(PDF)

Justice of the Peace List (PDF)

Trade Name Certificate Form (PDF)

Military Discharge Request (PDF)

Bethel Code/Charter (Link)


About Us

The Town Clerk is responsible for the preservation and safekeeping of all official records and documents for the Town of Bethel from 1855 (when the town became incorporated) through today. The Town Clerk maintains and provides access to public records as required by law, provides certified copies of public records. Records, indexes, and preserves municipal land records, surveys and maps. Posts meeting notices for local government bodies. Maintains official records of charters, ordinances, and appointments. Maintains public meeting agendas, minutes and notices. Records trade names and military discharges. Issues certificates of authority to Justices of the Peace, and Notary Publics. Maintains official copies of town budgets, audits and annual reports. Creates the ballots, issues absentee ballots and files legal notices. 

The various duties and function of the Town Clerk are defined by the Connecticut State Statutes and the town charter. The Town Clerk is considered the government official in charge of public records, vital statistics and plays a key role in the election process. 

As the Registrar of Vital Statistics, the Town Clerk has oversight of all births, marriages, and deaths which occur and are recorded in the Town of Bethel. As the State of Connecticut moves forward with their electronic registry, the Bethel Town Clerk will eventually be able to issue records recorded anywhere in the state. This is a future goal and not yet in place. We issue death certificates, burial and cremation permits to Funeral Directors.

The Town Clerk administers the oath of office to all newly elected and appointed town officials, including all new police officers, and also serves as the official keeper of the Town Seal.  

Our staff provides guidance and assistance to our residents, attorneys, title searchers, local businesses, and state agencies.