The function of the Building Department is to enforce the State Basic Building Codes, local Codes, ordinances and regulations. We review plans for construction prior to issuing Building Permits, make on-site inspections during building construction, or alteration, including electrical, plumbing, piping, swimming pool, shed, oil tank, gas piping, roofing, siding, replacement windows, etc.



To request a residential or commercial inspection please call 203-794-8577 or email explaining what type of inspection you need and provide address, permit #, and time and date you are requesting. Staff will review the request and follow up with you.


You can apply online or if you choose download the form, fill it out, and bring it to the Building Department.
  • Information regarding the online process and requirements are here.
  • Application forms can be downloaded at the town website here
We will need 1 hard copy and 1 digital (PDF) of all drawings and specifications along with the application. You can apply online or come into the Building Department. We will contact you regarding payment either way. You can mail your payment or pay using our online system. The online system is much quicker for small projects and trade permits.

The Building Department files are now scanned and being processed. They will soon be available online to the public. If you need a copy of a property file please email Jolene Drukker or Christopher Baldwin at or 


Online Permitting

The Building Department is working on providing online permitting for contractors and homeowners. The online process is for Electrical, HVAC, Plumbing, and General Carpentry and residential projects. We are expanding the online permitting to all permits this year. The online portal is located in the upper center section of the webpage and is currently in use. Please be aware other departments are coming online and we will inform you if other departments will need to approve your project. We cannot process or review your application if other departmental approvals are required first, Always check with Health, Zoning, and Public Works to see what might be required.